Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Observing AWC Students

I reserved a day where I could be at the college all day and observe the students. During this experiment I didn't sit at a single spot for hours on end and looked at students, I spent some time observing students in my classes, at the cafeteria, at the computer lab and even outside in the benches and under the trees where many hang out while waiting for their next class. Despite the awkward stares I received by the students I was observing I was able to stay strong and gather data that wasn't as surprising as I assumed. In my Math 151 course no one had their phones out or even glanced at them once, they all were focused on the notes being taken and asking the professor questions, maybe this is because of the level of math the course is or possibly because they are worried of failing the final exam next week. In my English 101 class though I noticed a few students with their phones out checking their notifications and being distracted from their assignment. It was those who were usually late to class who seemed to be on their phones. Observing people in the cafeteria was a lot easier to conduct, so many things go on at once that people don't have much time to look around to see if anyone is looking at them. Many of the groups were with phones on the table but rarely looked down to it, they were more focused on the people around them talking and laughing at the comments made by their friends. But for those who were alone eating their food they seemed to not let go of their devices, some had phones others lap tops and even iPods. I felt like maybe the handheld technology wasn't specifically used to continuously be up to date with their Facebook newsfeed or text messages but when the person felt awkward and needed to keep their hands and eyes preoccupied.

Google Images (Student fidgeting with phone)
Students in the computer lab did the opposite than those in my math class, almost everyone in there was on their cell phones texting, had their computer screens with multiple pages open including Facebook or YouTube. People were multitasking left and right, some stayed there for about 2 hours when I can assume whatever they were working on would've taken less than half that time if they weren't distracted. And the same was for the students and even faculty that were outside on the benches or tables beneath the trees, their phones were out, music in their ears and almost unaware of the things or other people around them, almost like zombies in their own worlds. There were a few who were sitting together socializing but that was very few. People who are without company are the ones more tempted to be on their cellphones or using technology to either pass the time or simply because it was a habit for them to do. Only the individual knows why they use technology as often or the way they do.

YouTube (Distractions)


No comments:

Post a Comment